Sunday, March 26, 2006

Quilt Along



There are some wonderful groups of people sharing their progress of quilting based on specific books. One is the Modern Quilt-along I mentioned earlier. Another is based on Denise Schmidt's book at Sarah's site. They are fresh contemporary projects.
One of my favourite quilting books is Quilter's Playtime by Dianne S. Hire. There are no patterns. Instead it is a wonderful collection of games to play with fabric. They are named after simple childhood make-up-the-rules-as-you-go games. No x-box here! Hopscotch creates beautiful runs of blocks- playful courthouse log cabins. I started with the third to last game- Tiddly winks- off centre stacks of oval shapes with the fabrics sliced & shuffled. I started 2 versions of this game. In true gleaner fashion I took the leftover bits from one version and finished pick-up-sticks first!
I would love to see what other quilters are inspired by this book to create. Join me in the Quilter's Playtime Quilt Along.
As Dianne says in her Intro "these games ...were designed for sharing, for playing with a friend. Sometimes the fun comes in sharing results. Sometimes the fun is the sharing itself."


No comments: